This is the story of my year abroad in Salzburg, Austria, created for all those I love--my closest friends and even closer family.

9/09/2012

Hohenwerfen Castle


It was hard to believe I was really in a castle all day! But then again there all over up here. I had slept on the bus ride and when we got off the bus I was so amazed by the Alps I didn’t realize there was a castle behind me until we started climbing to it ha! The Hohenwerfen Castle started to be built in 1077, which is weird to think that it’s so much older than the US. It was placed in the Alps at one of the only passage ways people could come through whether from Italy or the North. By placing it here on a hill they could first defend themselves well and second tax those who came through. The castle was also used as torcher chamber for Protestants who denied the catholic faith. The weapons of pain the used were so frightening. It gave me a weird feeling to think that I was in a place that was so many people’s personal hell. In WWII, the castle was also used a training camp for Adolf Hitler and after the war it was used as a Salzburg police school. So much history in one place!

 Me taking pictures of the Alps before I realized there was a castle.
 Carissa and I on the hike up to the castle. We were trying to get a jumping photo but failing haha.
 The Hohenwerfen Castle!
 The view from a window in the castle wall. It would have been used to shoot bows out of in the early ages, then guns and cannons later on.

1 comment: